Lead Machinist-Night Shift
Job Title: Lead Machinist-Night Shift
Reports to (Position) Fabrication Supervisor
Lead Machinist position involves leading one or more teams in the execution of machining processes. The primary responsibility of the Lead Machinist is to ensure the assigned work is completed in a timely manner, this includes assigning and explaining daily tasks to Machinists; monitoring work progress and compliance with policies and procedures; training and assisting Machinists. programming fixturing and setting up the machines. The Lead Machinist is responsible for the operator’s quality and continued improvement of repeat jobs and selects and purchase all tooling for the jobs as well as work holding and maintenance.
The scope of role (revenue impact, risk level managed/associated with the role, P&L managed, etc.):
Under limited supervision performs machine setups on all CNC machining equipment to ensure quality and the most efficient production process. Responds to problems with machinery and make repairs that are necessary to keep production online. Performs quality assurance checks on parts to insure precise production. Maintains accurate production reports. Provide direction and training for all machinists.
- Will read, write, and edit CNC programs. Will be able to set-up and run all CNC and Machine Tool equipment with no direction
- Determine and repair fixture and programming problems.
- Assists in the training of new employees on proper operation of machines.
- Repairs parts that do not meet specifications and revises machine setups to meet requirements.
- Continuously monitors machines for worn parts to prevent production slowdowns or shutdowns.
- Ability to determine feeds, speeds tooling and operation sequence of a range of parts.
- Comprehends G & M codes and their meanings.
- Share expertise and knowledge throughout the machine shop and be a focal point for advice on machining operations.
- Ability to identify cause of tool failure along with the ability to correct it.
- Performs all duties in a cost efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Ability to identify quality problems.
- Performs all duties in a safe, efficient manner and observe all appropriate safety regulations.
- Detects equipment malfunctions or out of tolerance machining and adjusts machine, within capabilities, controls, or control media as required to ensure quality of productions. Reports all machine malfunctions to Supervisor.
- Communicates with Supervisor, production control, quality, and other shop personnel for assignments and to resolve machining or quality issues
- Ability to work cohesively with engineers in production of new or existing parts.
- Supervising assigned people in the absence of Fabrication Supervisor to include as examples:
- Maintaining employee records for time and attendance
- Disciplinary action
- Delegation of work tasks
- Assuring accurate employee reporting
- Training new and existing employees in procedures and techniques
- Customer Focus
- Results Orientation
- Functional Expertise
- Attention to Detail
- Decision Making
Education (technical and/or commercial):
- Graduation from high school plus completion of a two-year program in machining or equivalent on the job training.
Job experience (years and type of experience):
- 5 years or more job-related experience
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Supervisory or team lead experience
- Ability to work and lead a small team of individuals.
- Considerable knowledge of the equipment, materials, methods, and practices used in machining operations.
- Considerable knowledge of the manufacturing production process machines.
- Considerable knowledge of related safety requirements to include proper use of safety equipment and proper safety precautions.
- Considerable knowledge of appropriate machining measuring skills in a production environment.
- Working knowledge of the manufacturing production process.
- Ability to understand and follow routine oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to monitor and help develop a quality assurance program in a production environment.
- Ability to analyze blueprints and engineering drawings.
- Working knowledge of basic geometry.
- Ability to prepare set-up sheet and operating instructions of a wide range of parts.
The qualifications listed above are guidelines. Other combinations of education and experience could provide necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform this job.
**This is a safety sensitive position**
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and celebrate our employees’ differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Job Type: Full-time